Mac and Cheese is a staple at Thanksgiving for many! Try this healthy but tasty alternate
- 1 lb. dry whole-wheat macaroni
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1¾ cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 Tbsp. low-fat (1%) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Finely chopped fresh parsley (for garnish; optional)
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Set aside.
Combine squash, broth, and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; gently boil for 22 to 25 minutes, or until squash is tender.
Place squash mixture in a blender or food processor; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
Combine squash mixture, macaroni, onion mixture, yogurt, and cheeses. Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well.
Place macaroni mixture in a 13 x 9-inch ceramic or glass baking dish that has been coated with spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling.
Garnish with parsley if desired.
No comment yet, add your voice below!