Thanksgiving always comes with left overs! This is a great recipe to use all that left over turkey!
- 6 tsp. olive oil, divided use
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (approx. 4 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- 1½ cups reduced fat (2%) milk
- 1 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth
- ½ tsp. sea salt or Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ¾ cup frozen green peas
- ¾ cup cubed cooked sweet potatoes
- 2¼ cups cubed cooked light/dark turkey meat, no skin, approx. 12 oz.
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (each approx. 12 x 17-inches), thawed, covered in a slightly damp towel
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and carrots; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add 1 tsp. oil; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add flour; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until flour and oil form a paste.
- Slowly add milk, broth, salt, pepper, and thyme. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low.
Add peas, sweet potatoes, and chicken (or turkey); cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Place chicken mixture in a 2½-quart baking dish. Set aside.
- Place phyllo on work surface. Keeping the original stack covered, remove one sheet at a time and quickly brush with remaining 3 tsp. oil. Cut oiled stack of phyllo into quarters. Place phyllo loosely on top of chicken mixture; covering evenly.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until chicken (or turkey) mixture is bubbling and phyllo dough is golden brown.